Ukraine captures Chinese nationals fighting for Russia
Ukraine’s President Zelensky said Beijing had been contacted for a response
Ukrainian forces have captured two Chinese nationals who were fighting for the Russian army in eastern Ukraine’s Donetsk region, President Volodymyr Zelensky has said.
He said on Tuesday that intelligence suggested the number of Chinese soldiers in Russia’s army was “much higher than two”.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha said Chinese troops fighting on Ukrainian territory “puts into question China’s declared stance for peace” and added that their envoy in Kyiv was summoned for an explanation.
It is the first official allegation from Ukraine that China is supplying Russia with manpower. Russia declined to comment on Zelensky’s revelation on Wednesday.
However, China’s foreign ministry said it was “verifying the relevant situation with the Ukrainian side”, but that it had consistently urged Chinese nationals to steer clear of any armed conflicts.

It added that Kyiv’s accusation that more Chinese citizens were involved in the fighting was “groundless”.
In a statement on social media platform X, Zelensky said the soldiers were captured in Ukraine’s eastern Donetsk region with identification documents, including bank cards which had “personal data” on them.
Ukraine’s forces fought six Chinese soldiers and took two of them prisoner, he said.
The post was accompanied by a video showing one of the alleged Chinese captives in handcuffs, speaking Mandarin Chinese and apparently describing a recent battle.







